Happy Spring! Let’s decorate. Front door ideas:
My front door is an ever changing event in my house. Actually, I have 2 front doors. I have a full iron gate to enclose my front porch (my winter time green house). Somehow in El Paso windows and doors were covered with decorative iron bars and gates to protect us from invaders. Today, there are alarm systems which are more protective and prettier. I had to prove to an insurance company that my gate actually opened. I’ve never had to use them (yet) as an escape route. I love the gates. I can open the house for a nice fresh breeze and still be protected. I also have a traditional wooden real front door that I took down and refinished and painted bright red. So, wreaths have to be appropriate for every season on both. My youngest granddaughter was very concerned when I neglected to “decorate my house” for last summer. It was too hot and dry and I never got into the spirit. I also have an iron gate on the door leading to the patio/garden. I have a wreath on the inside of that so I can enjoy it when it is open.
In order to store all of the “off-season” wreaths I have wall in my garage covered with hangars draped with plastic bags. Those protect the eagerly awaiting wreaths until it is their turn to be displayed. There is a method to my madness. I believe any method followed religiously work– at least for me. I’m traditional you see in all aspects.
I found this darling door decoration on Two Butterflies one Saturday morning and it was hanging on my front gate by Saturday afternoon. The hardest part of this was finding a cute umbrella on the same day. El Paso only puts out umbrellas for sale when the weather man says there is a greater than 20% chance of rain. That means there is an 80% chance we won’t see it hit the ground. But thanks to Target and the sales clerk at Michael’s who suggested I go to Target, I found a colorful umbrella to make this sweet decoration.
I got 1 bunch of artificial tulips and 2 bunches of apple blossoms at Michael’s.
Wire the blossoms around the metal frame of the umbrella leaving the back flat so it will hang nicely on the door. I did the tulip bunch in the middle. The apple blossom stems on either side of the tulips. One a little lower (and slightly forward of the tulips stem and the other a bit higher (and slightly behind.) I wanted mine to appear stepped from left to right (high, middle, low) but still all very near each other to give an idea of flowers blooming out of the umbrella.
Tie a ribbon around the umbrella ribs to hold it together around the flowers and it looks like it is holding a bouquet of flowers ready to welcome your visitors and tell them it is Spring!
- medium gauge florist wire
- wire cutters
- stems of your favorite color and variety of spring flowers
- 1 colorful umbrella
- ribbon to hold the umbrella tightly together
How to Make a Wreath: A Lesson for MiddleSister and BigSister from the Tumbleweed Contessa by BigSister
April??? How about February showers bring March flowers. The wildflowers are out in South Central Texas and they are stunning! Amazing what happens when you just add water. Feast or famine here in Texas as we were all nearly swept away yesterday. Dirt and snow (only in West Texas!) for the Tumbleweed Contessa during the day and room rattling thunderstorms here in Austin last night. I have been springing for over a month now…decorating outside, here, there and everwhere. Finally, I got The Contessa to work on a wreath with me when I went to visit her for her birthday. The hardest part was picking out what to make it with. After that it was so easy. Now I can make one for every season.
First we had to pick up the supplies. Off to the craft store we went. I chose a sort of oval wreath form and MiddleSister chose a round wreath. Ours were made out of grapevine. We like the natural look. You could buy all kinds though; wire, foam etc. The Contessa pointed out that we needed something to stand up to the weather. So, no foam. Wire would have been okay. MiddleSister chose to simply wrap her wreath in a sunflower garland and accent with some larger sunflowers. I wanted something a little fuller so I picked an ivy garland, pink hydrangeas and pink ribbon to add a bow. You also need a medium gauge craft wire and wire cutters.
Begin by anchoring your garland to the wreath with pieces of wire. Position the garland the way you like it in one area. Then, take a piece of wire that will be able to go through your wreath and meet in the back. Push one end of the wire in a discreet area all the way through the wreath. Bend the other in and push it through being sure to hold a piece of the garland in it and twist the wire in back. Cut off any really long ends. You want the garland to be facing out and filling in your frame as much as you desire.
Then, add your larger display items. You have to kind of assess your materials. Either wire them on or weave them through your form to make them fill in. You want your feature items to stand out either by rising above your garland or resting on top of them in natural arrangements.
Finally, The Contessa got out her bow maker and made a bow for the wreath. We secured it using some string wrapped into the bow. We are still on the fence as to whether or not we like the bow. What do you think?